South View of Newtown Street, 1836. This woodcut of Newtown Street done by John Warner Barber in 1836 is the earliest image of Newtown Village that we have. It shows the exceptionally wide main thoroughfare and the placement of the Middle District schoolhouse in the street, a common placement of schoolhouses throughout the nineteenth century. At the top of the hill, the two churches stand facing each other as they had since 1792 and as they would until the new stone Trinity Church was built in 1870.
Upper Newtown Street, c. 1870. The building to the left is the old Newtown Academy, which was built in 1837 and used as an academy until 1885. The Newtown Savings Bank was built on this spot in 1909. In the center is the Congregational Church Parsonage, built in the late eighteenth century, which was demolished in the 1990s for bank expansion. Just beyond the parsonage is the General Store.
R.H. Beers Store, c. 1910. When Hermann Tiemann took this prhotograph, there were more horse-drawn vehicles than cars on Newtown Street.  This site on the corner of West Street has been the location of a mercantile establishment since at least 1800.  Beers conducted business here from 1892 until 1922, when he died of a heart attack in the store.
The Newtown Savings Bank, c. 1910. Hermann Tiemann took this photograph just a year after the bank had built its first building on Main Street.  The bank had been founded in 1855 and had done business in the northern half of the building on the corner of West Street (above).  The building in this photograph still exists under the 1964 renovation.
The Newtown Country Club, 1916. This shows the first clubhouse just after it was built. It was located on the corner of Club House Road and Rt. 25. A chiropractic center is now located on this location.
S. Curtis & Son Paper Box Factory, 1930. This is the plant which replaced the old factory that was destroyed by fire in 1920, and today it still exists as the heart of the modern factory. The chimney to the right of the sign is the only part of the old building which survived.
The Edmond Town Hall Completed, 1930. The completed town hall is seen here with its windoows open to allow the fresh paint in the interior to dry.  The building in the foreground is the old meat market and post office.  Shortly after this photograph was taken, the building was taken down to make room for the exit driveway of the town hall parking lot.
The Renovated Newtown Bee Building, 1950. This photograph shows the Newtown Bee building after two major renovations.  The second one pushed the building out to the east and more than doubled its square footage.  Whereas Main Stree is the heart of Newtown, the Newtown Bee is its brain.  It still remains a vital source of information on the town.

All Images courtesy of the Newtown Historical Society.  All text comes from Cruson, Daniel. Newtown. Arcadia Pub., 1997. and Cruson, Daniel. Newtown 1900-1960. Arcadia Pub., 1997.